The list here is rarely up to date ... so see also my my Google Scholar profile, DCU researcher profile, publications in the
DCU Open Access Repository (DORAS) and my publication listing at ResearcherID.
This list is ordered by publication date, the most recent first.
Where the paper format is indicated as being
PDF/Postscript, then the hyperlink is generally to a
directory listing. This directory will contain a PDF format version
and/or compressed postscript version of the paper, and a file named
README.TXT which provides an abstract or further
description of the directory content.
- Paul Price, Alwynne McGeever, Mike Jones and Barry McMullin.
2018. A Post-Paris Literature Review of Negative Emissions
Technology, and Potential for Ireland. White paper. Dublin City
University and Trinity College Dublin.
- Linda Carey, Sylvia Huntley-Moore, Anne Jordan, Saranne
Magennis, Barry McMullin (Eds.). 2006. AISHE Conference 2006: Online Proceedings. Dublin:
- James Decraene, George Mitchell, Ciarán Kelly, Barry McMullin.
Evolving Artificial Cell Signaling Networks.
European Conference on Complex Systems (ECCS-06). Oxford, UK, September 25-29th,
- C. Kelly, B. McMullin and D. O'Brien. On Protocell 'Computation'. European Conference on
Complex Systems (ECCS-06). Oxford, UK, September 25-29th,
- Barry McMullin: Putting the learning back into learning
technology. In: Geraldine O'Neill, Sarah Moore and Barry
McMullin (Eds): Emerging
issues in the practice of University Learning and Teaching.
AISHE, Dublin, 2005. ISBN 0-9550134-0-2.
- Barry McMullin: 30
Years of Computational Autopoiesis: A Review Artificial Life, 10, Issue 3,
Summer 2004. (See also slides and audio from the presentation at the colloquium
Autopoiesis to Neurophenomenology: A Tribute to Francisco
- Carmen Marincu and Barry McMullin: A Comparative Assessment of Web Accessibility and
Technical Standards Conformance in Four EU States. First
Monday. 9, number 7, July 2004. (Preprint/higher accessibility version)
- Barry McMullin and Morag Munro: Moodle at DCU. Paper presented at EdTech 2004.
- Users with Disability Need Not Apply? Web
Accessibility in Ireland, 2002. First Monday.
7. Number 12, December 2002.
- Dominique Großand Barry McMullin: The Creation of Novelty
in Artificial Chemistries In: Russell K. Standish, Mark
A. Bedau, Hussein A. Abbass Eds., Artificial Life VIII: Proceedings of the Eighth
International Conference on Artificial Life. MIT Press.
- Digital Democracy for All? Web Accessibility in
Ireland, 2002. White Paper, eAccessibility Lab, Dublin
City University. (4 November 2002)
- WARP (Web Accessibility Reporting Project).
Ireland 2002 Baseline Study. White Paper, eAccessibility
Lab, Dublin City University. (4 November 2002)
Internet in Ireland: an Absolute Beginners' Guide. Published by
Best Selling Books Ltd., in conjunction with IOL. Third Edition,
- An Intriguing Journey. Complexity. 6. Number 4,
pp. 22-23. 2001. (Invited review of Investigations,
Stuart Kauffman, Oxford University Press, 2000.)
- Towards the Implementation of Evolving Autopoietic
Artificial Agents Dominique Groß and Barry McMullin. In:
Advances in Artificial Life, Proceedings of the 6th
European Conference. J. Kelemen, P. Sosık (Eds.). Springer.
Presented at ECAL 2001,
Prague, Czech Republic, September 2001.
- Who Needs Genomes? Barry McMullin, Tim Taylor,
Axel von Kamp. Presented at the Atlantic Symposium
on Computational Biology, Genome Information Systems &
Technology March 15-17, 2001, Regal University Center, Durham,
- John von Neumann and the Evolutionary Growth
of Complexity: Looking Backwards, Looking Forwards...
Artificial Life. 6. Issue 4, Fall 2000,
- John von Neumann and the Evolutionary Growth of
Complexity: Looking Backwards, Looking Forwards...
Presented at ALife7, August 1-6
2000, Portland, Oregon.
- The Von Neumann Self-reproducing Architecture, Genetic
Relativism and Evolvability. Presented at the ALife7 Evolvability Workshop,, August 1-6 2000,
- Some Remarks on Autocatalysis and Autopoiesis.
Presented at the workshop Closure: Emergent Organizations and their Dynamics,
May 3-5 1999, University of Ghent, Belgium.
- Modelling Autopoiesis: Harder Than It May Seem!
Presented at Biology, Cognition, Language & Society: An
International Symposium on Autopoiesis. Belo Horizonte,
Brazil, November 1997. An earlier version of this text is also
available as Code McMullin: The Case of the Independent
Test in the Bulletin of the Santa Fe Institute, Summer 1997.
- Rediscovering Computational Autopoiesis Barry
McMullin and Francisco Varela. Presented at ECAL-97, Brighton, UK July 1997.
- SCL: An Artificial Chemistry in Swarm
Working Paper 97-01-002 of the Santa Fe Institute.
January 1997. (DCU mirror.)
- Computational Autopoiesis: The Original Algorithm
Working Paper 97-01-001 of the Santa Fe Institute.
January 1997. (DCU mirror.)
- Adaptation Considered Harmful: Darwin's Problem
Revisited The Critical Rationalist (ISSN: 1393-3809),
Vol. 1, No. 4. Invited paper, presented at the Annual Conference on the Philosophy of Sir Karl
Popper, 9th March 1996.
- Replicators Don't Presented at the 3rd. European Conference on Artificial Life,
Granada, Spain, 4-6th June 1995. HTML Format. The camera-ready
version is also available in PDF/postscript format.
- Openness in Public Life: A Modest Technological
Proposal A submission, prepared on behalf of Dublin City
University, to the Irish Forum for Peace and Reconciliation. Discusses the
general topic of using the Internet to facilitate the Forum's
activities. January 1995.
- Who Needs Electronic Books? A popular article,
directed at parents, teachers, and second-level students, reviewing
the potential of multimedia and Internet technology in education.
April 1994. Historical interest only! (I entirely omitted to
explicitly mention the World Wide Web ... but, in my defence,
Mosaic had only been released in September 1993;
and the first First International
WWW Conference, didn't happen 'till May 1994. I did mention
that "... the Internet (sic) now allows authors to publish their
works with absolutely minimal set up costs ... given the ease with
which the Internet will connect authors and users of published
materials, allowing almost instantaneous access and critical
feedback, I suspect that the Internet will rapidly become the
publishing medium of choice for many many purposes."!)
- Computing Machinery and Mentality Invited paper,
presented at the Workshop Artificial Life: a Bridge towards a
New Artificial Intelligence, San Sebastian, 1993.
is a Universal Constructor? Presented at the Second
European Conference on Artificial Life, Brussels, 1993.
- Autopoiesis and Perception Proceedings of a
workshop held in DCU, August 1992. Edited by Barry McMullin and
Noel Murphy. PDF/Postscript format.
- Artificial Knowledge: An Evolutionary Approach
PhD Thesis. PDF/Postscript format.
on Darwinism. 3: Genic and Organismic Selection Technical
Report, May 1992. PDF/Postscript format.
on Darwinism. 2: Organismic Darwinism Technical Report, April
on Darwinism. 1: Ontological Foundations Technical Report,
March 1992. PDF/Postscript format.
Holland Alpha-Universes Revisited Presented at the First
European Conference on Artificial Life, Paris 1991.
- Computational Darwinism, or Who Teaches the
Teacher? Presented at the conference AI and Cognitive
Science '89, Dublin 1989. PDF/Postscript format.
- Computational Darwinism: A Research Proposal
Technical Report, May 1989. PDF/Postscript format.
- Darwinism Applied to Machine Learning Technical
Report, September 1988. PDF/Postscript format.