PACE IT Potential:
(Artificial) Chemistry meets Software Agents?
- Loosely coupled network of processing nodes.
- Paradigm case: the Internet.
- Software agents execute on the nodes.
- Agents can communicate by message passing.
- Intra-node Agent replication commonly used to dynamically adapt to
- Apache httpd pool
- PSQL postmaster pool
- firefox threads (tabs, windows)
- Replication is intrinsically ``dangerous''
- Tightly constrained (obviously!?)
- Any good/benign examples?
- Usually only one step propagation(?)
- SETI at home? Bittorrent? etc. (do these qualify?)
- Best known examples of autonomously propagating agents are
- Combat malicious propagating agents
- Exploit autonomous propagating agents for constructive
A suggested level of analogy (possible influences in both
- (bio-)molecule -- software agent
- Somatic time cell co-ordination and regulation -- agent
ensemble co-ordination and regulation
- Cellular closure(s) -- agent ensemble closure(s)
- ... and evolutionary time? major transitions?
Very high level; computationally efficient; but tenuous
- Holland α-Universes
but not (?):
- Genetic Algorithms
- Genetic Programming
- Optimisation (execution speed)
- Beyond Tierra:
- Presentation slides:
- DCU Alife Laboratory:
- Research Institute for Networks and
Communications Engineering (RINCE):
This work is copyright ©2005 by
Permission is hereby granted to private individuals to access,
copy and distribute this work, for purposes of private study
only, provided that the distribution is complete and unmodified,
is accompanied by this copyright notice, and that no charges are
levied. The work may not be accessed or copied, in
whole or in part, for commercial purposes, except with the prior
written permission of the author.
All other rights reserved.
Copyright © 2005 All Rights Reserved.